Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Christmas Story for Recovering Cynics

Here's a Christmas trifle that involves no actual eating of trifle. I love the idea of Santa Claus and what he represents. At the same time, Christmas is still a day of sadness for so many. I wanted to see if I could split the difference in script form.

That You, Santa? (DPK 2010)

SAM stumbles into her living room with an unwieldy box, which she sets it down before sitting down herself.

SAM: Why didn’t I buy this pre-assembled?

Something, or rather someone, drops down the chimney. Some call him Santa but tonight he goes by NICK.

NICK: Oh, oh, oh!

Nick dusts himself off then looks around and sees Sam.

NICK: What are you doing here?

SAM: It’s my house!

NICK: Well, it’s Christmas Eve, and I have work to do.

SAM: As you can see, so do I.

NICK: Yes, but…you’re not supposed to be here right now. It’s against the tradition.

SAM: So is spending all of Christmas day putting toys together. I need to do this tonight.

Neither of them says anything for a moment.

NICK: Very well, just please stay out of my way.

SAM: That’s not so jolly.

NICK: I’m sure I can find another home for these presents. Your son wasn’t at the top of the “nice” list.

SAM: All right, all right, I was just trying to spread some cheer.

NICK: That’s my department.

SAM: Yeah, I guess it is. Pardon me a minute.

Sam opens the box and takes out the contents, while Nick goes back over to the chimney.

NICK: Donner, 825-Alpha-Two-X-Minus-1.

Something new drops down, which Nick catches.

NICK: Prancer, 297-Delta-Three-Stroke-Seven.

Another item drops, into Nick’s hands.

Nick: Vixen, 621-Omega-Four-Slash-Two.

The process repeats and nick takes the items over to the tree.

SAM: Damn it!

NICK: Something wrong?

SAM: There’s a part missing.

NICK: Which one?

SAM: There’s supposed to be a curved part that’s supposed to go here.

NICK: Oh yes, hold on a moment.

Nick walks back over to the chimney.

NICK: Blitzen, 536-Charlie-Four-Oblique-Dash-Zeta.

A smaller item drops into Nick’s hand.

NICK: This should do it.

SAM: Thanks.

NICK: You’re welcome, spare parts are essential in my line of work.

SAM: I guess they would be.

NICK: Make sure you put a tag on that so he’ll know it’s from you not me.

SAM: It’ll be fine, really.

NICK: You don’t care for the season, do you?

SAM: What does that matter?

NICK: It matters to me. It’s what I do, Sam.

SAM: It isn’t about a present, in case you’re wondering.

NICK: I know.

Sam gets up and doesn’t say anything for a moment.

SAM: The funny thing is that it was easier when she first left. They’d told me the
year before that there wasn’t any…well, you. So, I knew there was no magic in Christmas. It was just another day, just as likely to bring disappointment as any other, so I didn’t have a reason to be angry - or even care. Then, after Martin was born, you did that sponsorship deal so we knew you were real, and the day was magic, just not for me. I don’t want to be angry at you. You always gave me great stuff.

NICK: You always deserved it.

SAM: Thank you. I just…the loss was easier when there was no you, and no Martin, and no need for the day to be special. But there is now, and I want the day to be magic for him, but I still feel like I’m lying to him.

NICK: The day is always magic, Sam. But some things are beyond that, no matter how hard we wish it otherwise.

SAM: Easy for you to say.

NICK: It’s not just talk. I get to bring joy to so many, but I see a lot of hurt as well. I see the hurt that the eyes overlook. I saw it in her too.

SAM: What do you mean?

Nick pauses for a moment, thinking he may have said too much.

NICK: I saw it in your mother. I saw her Christmas Eve when she was leaving. I talked to her.

Sam is surprised.

NICK: I tried to talk her out of it, but she was going.

SAM: Why?

NICK: I really don’t know. Sometimes there is no why. When people are damaged on this inside, what they do on the outside doesn’t always make sense. What I do know is that there was nothing to be done. Neither you or I was going to change what was broken inside her.

Sam thinks this over for a moment.

SAM: I need to finish putting this together.

NICK: Are you alright?

SAM: I guess we’ll see.

NICK: I have to go. I’m a bit behind schedule.

SAM: Yeah, of course, thank you for the part.

NICK: You’re most welcome. Make sure you put a tag on it, so he knows it’s from you.

SAM: Having him think it’s from you wouldn’t be a bad thing; add a bit to the magic of the day.

NICK: Merry Christmas, Sam.

SAM: Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment